I’m Dane Findley and my mission in life is to help others experience more daily joy through improved physical health.
In what area do you most need motivation today?
You can learn the evidence-based methods for becoming more fit over the age of 50.
My passion is assisting others in increasing their strength and mobility, through lifestyle upgrades that reduce inflammation.
These interventions involve anti-inflammatory diet strategies and body-conditioning movements.
My message is simple: it’s only in your thriving that you have anything to offer anyone – therefore, the best investment you can ever make is in your own health.
I offer free updates:
- the newsletter is for free-thinking, creative types who’ve decided they want to be even healthier than they are now
- the evidence-based, actionable strategies for a better life – that I share freely – are for those intrigued by personal development
- if you are kind and curious, you will likely find this information motivating and helpful
- there’s nothing wrong with someone being rigid in their beliefs, but if that’s you, you’ll likely not enjoy my newsletter (no hard feelings – I wish you well on your journey)
- if you go more than 4 months without opening one of my email messages, you will automatically be unsubscribed.
3 Ways to Take Your Health to the Next Level
I’m 53 years old I enjoy helping others create unique solutions for improving daily quality of life.
It’s not unusual for those who meet me in person to comment on my fitness and ask me questions about how I stay strong and flexible.
My percentage of body fat fluctuates a bit depending on my work schedule and projects, but much of the time I have washboard abs.
Since I guess it’s unusual in the U.S. to see a silver-haired man my age with a lean and muscled body composition, that’s probably why I sometimes get asked questions.
I created this site so I could share the three ways I get healthier, even in post-middle age:
- Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Almost no grains, sugar or dairy. A large variety of vegetables, and one small serving of animal protein each night (more on heavy workout days). My diet motivation comes from the Wahls Protocol, a nutritional regimen that offers three levels – beginner, intermediate, and advanced, respectively.
- Cross-Training: instead of focusing on one type of exercise only, I do a different type of exercise each day – that way my body never fully adapts and I stay in the results-zone. Pilates, weight-training, sprints, yoga, cardio, mobility drills and Olympic kettlebell lifts. I like to exercise outdoors when I can. Daily exercise doesn’t require as much time as people think, but it still requires time.
- Self-Care and Personal Development: the more I develop my inner-self, the less need I have to self-medicate with things outside of myself. By learning to naturally metabolize life’s daily little anxieties I become better at staying positive and letting good things flow to me.
Over 50? My free weekly updates often include exercise ideas, goal-specific workouts, and diet plans.
In all likelihood, your missing ingredient up until now has been consistent inspiration. You’re going to need weekly motivation in order to take your wellness, health and happiness up to the next level, permanently.
Who is Dane Findley?
Professionally, I have a few key interests and talents:
- wellness coaching
- fitness training
- community marketing for luxury brands
- helping others invest in estate properties in year-round fair weather communities.
In my spare time, I cook simple paleo meals and read sword-and-sorcery novels.
How Dane Findley Became Fascinated by Motivation
Though in my professional life I am initiating, I was born essentially with the brain circuitry of a yin-energy male.
How that manifests is, that when I encounter someone likable and loaded with potential (which happens often), I feel a peculiar urge to cook that person a healthy meal and draw them a hot bath.
I mean that literally and metaphorically: my instinct is to organize a person’s home and daily lifestyle so that they experience a return of abundant physical energy and increased joy and motivation.
Even though I like people and feel a desire to be helpful, I recognize that many first-world people are overextended and therefore I choose to set healthy boundaries.
Moving into the orbit of an overextended person is like being sucked into a black hole. Even though I’m deeply curious about people and could happily listen to them talk about themselves, the reality is that most people are not able to reciprocate that level of listening.
People don’t mean to be draining, it’s just that they’re distracted and tired – and often they don’t even realize it.
My solution to this conundrum is to curate this website and load it with actionable resources that help others to experience more authenticity and fulfillment in their daily lives.
A delightful bonus for me is that, as I continue to do research for this site, I am learning new things each week.
And as I experiment with new ways to be a better, more-present human being, I, too, get to experience some of the personal-growth moments that my readers experience.
These shared adventures build a strong sense of community and motivation around this site that I enjoy deeply.
13 Facts about Dane Findley
- I am Editor of the popular (and free) Quality of Life Newsletter. Each issue features a specific happiness strategy to help bring one’s joy up to the next level.
- For decades I have been passionate about Pilates.
- My partner David and I help those seeking to buy and sell lifestyle properties – high-concept estate homes for those who live boldly and follow their dreams.
- I have a masters degree in counseling psychology and have published over 100 digital articles, videos and podcasts on health and motivation.
- I was born and raised in California.
- One rainy Saturday afternoon as a young boy, I happened to see an old Tony Curtis movie on tv called The Rat Race – and it occurred to me for the first time that I was a “creative type.”
- I love people, yet I require enormous amounts of solitude in order to maintain my happy disposition (introverts recharge their batteries in isolation).
- For years, I lived on an off-the-grid, tropical island farm, where I showered outdoors in rainwater, and my electricity came from the sun.
- I get asked a lot of questions about freshly made green smoothies; blenders can help people at last reach that once-elusive goal of sneaking more vegetables into their daily diet (inflammation can be radically diminished by making key nutritional improvements).
- I wiggle my toes a lot – I’m a big believer in joy.
- Among my favorite novels of all time is Another Roadside Attraction – a quirky story that reveals how to allow happiness into your life even when you’re convinced you’ll never fully fit in.
- The most inspiring movie I’ve ever seen is a 1940s melodrama called Now, Voyager. It reveals a wounded person’s journey into empowerment.
- Even as a kid I was enthralled with the idea of open-air living and dreamt about living year-round in a fair weather climate.
Begin Your Journey
Would learning more about one of these topics below be beneficial to you?
- I WANT TO GET MOVING ↜”10 Counterintuitive Ways to Become More Physically Fit”
- I WANT TO THINK BETTER ↜ “Your Most Important Life Decisions”
- I WANT TO EAT BETTER ↜”How to Lose Stubborn Belly Fat After Age 50″
I created Over Fifty and Fit to help others infuse robust health into the second half of their lifespans:
These are just a few of the many testimonials I receive from those who opt-in to my weekly update. I think I might have some of the smartest, kindest subscribers anywhere. I feel grateful that I can use whatever talents I might possess to try to make a positive difference in the lives of others. You can read even more testimonials here.
I am 54 years young, and finally, finally, have turned the corner on getting my health where it needs to be at for an optimal life. Guys like you have been a big help to me in overcoming my own self-sabotage.”– Rob
Since I’ve been following you on Facebook I started with a personal trainer and changed my diet.”– Brad
You share the best information that I have found!! Thank you so much!”– Venisa
Although I am not even close to 50 (35 at the moment) I find your articles very useful and inspiring. Better to prevent than to cure, I am thinking. So for those under 50, your insights are also greatly relevant.”– Tim
These years are the most important for men over 50 to not give up to nature’s process and to be the healthiest most fit individuals. Thank you for all that you do.”– Topher
I look at all your videos as soon as you upload them and do the ones I can. You look really great. I also have subscribed to your emails and they are full of good, philosophical advice for life in general.”– Liz
I’ve been following your newsletter/blog for a couple years. I love that you give as much attention to mental health as you do physical health. It’s a great mix of finding joy and good health.”– Bill
I wish to thank you for the fantastic, positive , informative and very motivating emails I receive each Sunday from you. I read them with great interest, often referring back to them during the week.”– Caron
I admire someone like you out there teaching other people. You’re inspirational! I’m glad I joined your subscription. I’m 52 – but don’t use the computer much – you’re my only subscription I have! Or want!”– Scott
Hey Dane, love your posts. You’ve been a true inspiration to my fitness goals and my healthy nutrition choices. I decided to build a home gym and have included most of the equipment that I see you use. I’ll be 60 next year and feel great (mind, body and soul) plus my wife says I’m really hot! Thanks for sharing what you believe in.”– Andre
Dane keeps it hot. Practical life advice broken down into actionable steps. When I look at Dane, I’m like, ‘I can’t WAIT until I’m fifty.’ He’s legit.”– Orchid
His attention, knowledge, and kindness are recommendable.”– Roel
Absolutely love Dane’s techniques. Dane is a genuine person that cares about others’ well-being and health. Always something new to learn from Dane. As a new follower, I look forward to his update each week – I find it helpful.”– Brent
This dude gets it! If you are ‘older-ish’ and into fitness or want to be, Dane covers all the bases. So glad I found this site. I have literally been looking for this sort of relevant fitness info for years!– Jeremiah
Thank you so much for all the work you are doing to help others. You inspire me to try.”– Scot
Your program is just what I needed to pull me back on track.”
I’ve lost 16 lbs in 3 weeks since you motivated me.”– Carl
Dane, your entire product is awesome, have not seen anything in a full year watching you that isn’t top notch; thank you.”– Allan
Last year my life became upside-down. I stopped eating properly and lost 22 pounds in a few months. But one day when I was on Instagram, I saw you were working out in a park and that really inspired me. I became a gym member and not only put back the weight I lost but also feel much better. We never know how our actions impact others. Thank you for your encouragement. I just had my breakfast and I’m heading to gym now.”– Shahram
I find your information very helpful and thought-provoking.”– Teri
Thank you for doing this! It inspires me to know that just because this didn’t happen for me in the first half of my life, that it doesn’t mean I can’t look great the second half of it. You are proof. You are inspirational.”– Jesse